DIY Solar System
by Suzanne Madron
Remember those solar system science projects from grade school? This solar system gets an upgrade while also being a fun kid-friendly project.
Van Gogh’s Starry Night influenced the solar system in this project, using swirls of bright colors, but it is just as easily adapted for a more realistic looking solar system as well.
- Foam balls of varying sizes for the planets. It is recommended to have a few extra if you plan to make the moon, etc. it is definitely a good plan to have extras in case of painting mishaps.
- Wooden or metal skewer rods
- Board canvas large and enough to hold your solar system, or several if you plan to stretch the system over multiple canvases for effect
- Acrylic paint (a typical set which includes the colors of the rainbow, plus black, brown, and white)
- Paint brushes of various sizes
- You will need a larger flat brush – the kind used for paintings or crafts
- A smaller brush for finer details
… read more in the Fall 2019 issue.