Galindo House, Concord
By Emerian Rich
Most Concord residents never knew the Galindo house existed until a few years ago when the Concord Historical Society took charge of the estate and cleaned up the trees and greenery in front of it.
Located at 1721 Amador Avenue, Galindo House was built in 1856 for one of Concord’s founders, Don Francisco Galindo and his wife Maria Dolores Manuella Pacheco. The six-room farmhouse sat on the then seventeen-thousand acres of land granted to Galindo after the Mesoamerican War. The names Galindo and Pacheco will sound familiar to residents because many of our streets and buildings are named after the founding fathers. Don Salvio Pacheo’s Adobe at 1870 Abode Street—belonging to Maria’s father—is another notable building still standing from that time period, but Galindo House was the first wooden house built in town. …continue reading in the Winter issue for 2017.
by Emerian Rich
Concord is the largest city in Contra Costa County. Founded in 1869 by Salvio Pacheco as Todo Santos, the name was changed within months to Concord. Now, the city center park, Todos Santos Plaza, is a reminder of that first name. With multiple stops on the BART system to connect it with San Francisco, Berkeley, and Oakland, Concord has expanded past its bedroom community status. New condos and neighborhood renovation has made this community bigger in the past few years as lack of housing has pushed the city to think of new innovative ways to build.
Residents enjoy a wide array of entertainment packed in to the thirty miles of town. The Concord Pavilion on one side of town brings in headliners and festivals. On the other side Solano Drive-in—one of the last surviving Bay Area drive-in theaters—hosts not only movies, but a year-round public swap meet Saturdays and Sundays.
In the center of town, Todos Santos Plaza hosts a weekly farmer’s market with a wide array of fruits and vegetables at reasonable rates. A handful of hot food vendors, including my favorite teriyaki-on-a-stick booth, offer ready-made goods to enjoy… Read more in the Summer issue of SEARCH Magazine.
Putting the GHOST in GOLF
Ghost Golf puts the fun in horror old-school style with corny jokes, fun memorable characters, and classic scares. In SEARCH Magazine’s Fall Issue, Emerian Rich interviews the creative genius behind Ghost Golf, Daryn Coleman. He’s been building spooky décor for years, but about a year ago, he finally realized his dream of owning a larger location.
You may remember the old location in Downtown Concord, which kept him limited in what he could do. They only had nine holes there, and when they had a party, they had to close the whole place down because of lack of space.
In the new location on Clayton Road, they have a full 18-hole course, a new Mummy Shooting Gallery, a new party room that can hold 2-3 events at a time, and an arcade fitted with spooky video games such as Tales from the Crypt, Carnevil, and even a car racing game through a haunted amusement park…to read the full article, download the free eCopy of SEARCH Magazine‘s Fall Issue.